Pop-up shop: Pete Kennedy
- Thursday 29 February – Sunday 3 March 2024
- 10am - 4pm
- 74 High Street, Colchester, CO1 1UE
Pete Kennedy has self-published books since 1975. In 2013 he completed a Masters Degree at Colchester Institute when it was based in The Minories and many of the works displayed at this pop-up shop emanate from works completed during that period. Since then, Pete has made/published a number of books; some unique or small editions, some letterpress printed in collaboration with David Jury, and others digitally printed by R J Printers of Maldon.
Several of Pete's books are in various collections including Winchester School of Art artist's book archive and The Jan Michalski Foundation, Zurich.
Previously he has displayed at the Fine Press Bookfair Oxford , Baltic Gateshead, BABE at Arnolfini Bristol, and Notts Bookfair. He has also had articles published in The Artist's Year Book 2014-15, and Journal of Artist's Books 38.
Key works available at the Pop-up shop:
- 'P D Kennedy Is From From Brunlea.' A letterpress book designed and printed by David Jury featuring Pete's words and images. A copy of this book was recently acquired by both The British Library Contemporary Collection and The John Rylands, Manchester University Library.
- David Jury's letterpress printed six-page book, housed within a folder of Pete's poems
- Leaf Books 1 & 2 - These were made during Pete's MA studies. Both of these books contain six etchings of images reflecting the words of his poems plus the words themselves, bound in two different ways presenting the work beautifully. The outside covers are made with Indian hand-made paper and use leaves from an castor oil plant.
- A 'Pothi' (a word used to describe a sacred book in Punjabi) made in fired clay with wood for outside covers.
As well as books, Pete will also be bringing a selection of his prints.